Sunday, August 2, 2009

Marathon Training Lesson #5: Fuel

After weeks of experimentation, I think I finally discovered the right fuel for my body on long runs. What seems to work (at least it did today when I ran 15 miles) is:
  • a large bagel topped with peanut butter and one mashed banana
  • 1 cup of coffee.

After said consumption and imbibing, I waited an hour or so and then hit the run. The first 10 miles breezed by and, other than hydrating, I didn't feel like I needed additional fueling. Miles 13-15 were more challenging, methinks, because I forgot to bring my Clif Bar Shot Bloks with me and my body was hurting for serious energy (a mistake I will not make again). But, these are reasons why I train...to learn what works, what doesn't and what my body really needs while running.

Another thing I've learned about myself is how much fluid I require and consume. I'm constantly drinking, which I think is good, but the downside of this is that I run out of the fluid I carry on my belt much faster. I'm pretty sure there will be hydration stations along the marathon course, so it's likely I'll just have to stop more often.

The best part of my marathon training is becoming more aware of my body's intelligence and its needs and in learning its own distinct voice - the one which is separate from my mind. By doing so, I'm able to hone in faster to what it's telling or asking me and keep it balanced.

No comments: