Thursday, June 19, 2008

Synchronicities!

I continue to be amazed at the amount of synchronicities occurring in my life these days. Then again, I should not be so surprised because I'm actively inviting them into my life. Still, the rate at which they're occurring is so amazing that I can't help but giggle sometimes.

Let me share with you what I mean.

Lately, I've been consumed by the writings and teachings of Schopenhauer (thanks to a recent dream I had), Joseph Campbell and Carl Jung. Jung himself was particularly intrigued with this idea of synchronicity -- "the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality" (Webster's Dictionary).

Today I was reading Sharon Franquemont's "You Already Know What To Do", which speaks of ways to invite yourself into the intuitive life. At one point in the book, Sharon suggests that the reader close his or her eyes and ask the question, "Why is it important for me to invest in my intuition?" or (as I often ask) "Please show me what I need to know/see right now for my own personal development."

So, I closed my eyes, centered myself and started flipping through the book, feeling pulled to stop on a particular page. Once there and with eyes still closed, I allowed my finger to move along the two pages until it decided to stop. Here is what I found:

"Method #4: Situation Comedy and Synchronicities" and the lesson began with a young woman, Paula, who felt compelled to move to Oregon. My finger rested upon these words: "
Paula was having a series of what Carl Jung called synchronicities, meaningful coincidences which are not related by our normal understanding of cause and effect...Synchronicities occur in a variety of contexts, not just those where important decisions are being reached. Sometimes their greatest gift is sheer laughter" (p. 142).

Duly noted, Universe! Duly noted! I *am* laughing, and I giggle with future expectation of more of this to come!

No comments: