Monday, April 20, 2009

Motorcycles and my lesson in trust

For much of the past year, I've had fun riding around on a motorcycle, even going so far to grab a lesson and look into a bike of my own (Hello, future Honda Nighthawk motorcycle that I shall love riding). I often sit on the back and find there are few things more fun during the warm weather to cool off on a bike and watch the world zoom by at roller coaster speeds.

And, I have to say it is a great lesson in trust, especially when you're in a relationship with the driver. Yesterday, temperatures were in the 80s here in Virginia so we hopped on a bike and went for a several hour ride...mostly running errands. Seated in the back, it was my first ride of the year and it took me a little while to get comfortable back there. And, I must confess, that it involved some moments of sheer panic as the speed flew up and the traffic raced past us. Now, HE is an excellent driver and has owned bikes for much of his life, so I've never felt unsafe with him. I trust him completely and I'm always reminded of HOW much I trust him on the back of the bike.

The more I think of it, the more I believe that a motorcycle is the perfect metaphor for a solid relationship. If you're in the back, you must trust the driver and move with him through all the twists and turns of the road. If not, you can easily cause an accident by throwing off the bike's balance. Sometimes, you just have to lean in and hang on tight ESPECIALLY when you have no clue where you're going. And, you just have to radically trust that you're going to get where you're going...that you're going to do it together and that you'll both arrive in one piece.

And this is what I was thinking about yesterday as we raced through Virginia on the bike. I stopped panicking. I took a deep breath and I jumped into the moment, buoyed by my trust in him (and in his excellent driving skills). Doing so allowed me to relax, sit back and enjoy the ride. A perfect lesson for life with another!




No comments: