Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Celtic Wisdom from Zimmer Bradley, Robert Graves, and Amergin

It's been a week spent nestled in my Celtic roots, reading new treasures and writing new ones. For those of you who have not yet read Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, do seek it out. While long (clocking in just shy of 900 pages), it is marvelous take on the Arthurian myth cycle but told from the viewpoint of the women nearest Arthur. I followed it up with The White Goddess by Robert Graves to read more about the goddess in Celtic myth cycles. In the latter, I discovered the Song of Amergin, which I've heard told differently and was happy to learn this version. It pulses so vividly to me that I know it sings to my ancestors embedded in my own DNA.


The Song of Amergin


I am a stag of seven tines,
I am a wide flood on a plain, 
I am a wind on the deep waters, 
I am a shining tear of the sun, 
I am a hawk on a cliff, 
I am fair among flowers, 
I am a god who sets the head afire with smoke. 
I am a battle waging spear, 
I am a salmon in the pool, 
I am a hill of poetry, 
I am a ruthless boar, 
I am a threatening noise of the sea, 
I am a wave of the sea, 
Who but I knows the secrets of the unhewn dolmen ?

No comments: