Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Little whispers from the universe

Sun card from a tarot deck.

At the beginning of 2009, a good friend of mine suggested I shuffle my tarot deck, pull a card and ask it to accompany me on this year's journey, meditating on its meaning from time to time. So, I did and I ended up pulling the Sun Card, which was a great boon to my spirit as it perfectly fits where I'm at these days.

I say this because the universe has been whispering this message to me ever since. For example, it found me two days ago when I began my morning commute. I said, "Okay, universe...please give me a message today. What's my lesson for today?" Within about a minute of uttering those words, I found myself stuck behind a very slow moving truck that was a few cars ahead of me. It was so big that I could make out the big sun painted on the truck's back door and the word "SHINE" in capital letters. Underneath it was written very faintly "Philippians 2:15". I looked it up when I was next at a computer and discovered the passage is this: "so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe"

It made me giggle out loud!

Then, I woke up this morning to an especially clear sky and thought to myself, "This is a blessed day." And, it was confirmed to me when I received all green lights on my morning commute (this never happens in DC traffic...EVER!). Upon parking, I looked up and saw three great blue herons flying overhead. Again, the blue heron is a solitary animal except when mating, so it is rather rare to see more than one flying together. The blue heron is a totem and message animal of mine, so this was a real treat. THEN, this afternoon, I was running with my buddy, Lynn, and we were discussing the sacred goddess. All of a sudden this gorgeous barred owl flew right in front of us (again...another rarity given that it was the afternoon) and sat up in a tree, looking at us. We greeted it (Hello, OWL!!!) and called to it (sounds like "Who cooks for you?) and just felt so gifted in that moment. It flew in front of us again, almost encouraging us on our journey and we both felt like we were in the presence of something great.

The barred owl holds even more significance for me because it last spoke to me during a camping/white water trip in West Virginia in the fall and during a Native American sweat lodge in Ohio last April. One of my nicknames as of last year has been "Owlie". Prior to today's sighting, the last time I saw an owl was out in Montana, appearing to me there in the shape of the "Great Horned Owl." Again, I offer all of this to signify its importance.

I feel like these messages are just the universe's way of encouraging me to shed even more "old skin" and dance in the newness that is my life. How exciting!



No comments: