Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Do the Tao Now"

My study of the Tao Te Ching continues. I already had Lao Tzu's teachings before me, but I also went out and picked up Wayne Dyer's meditational study on the Tao Te Ching. Yesterday's study centered on Verse 12 and its take on choices. You'll find the verse in its entirety below.

Colors can make us blind!
Music can make us deaf!
Flavors can destroy our taste!
Racing can drive us mad
And its reward obstruct our peace!

Thus, the wise
Fill the inner gut
Rather than the eyes,
Always sacrificing the superficial
For the essential.

***
I love the wisdom of this verse because it reminds me to move from the "outside" to the "inside"...from all that is "without" to all that is "within". What is within is real, what is without is illusory and mere constructs of my mind, my ego. I think that's what Lao Tzu is saying here. When we live externally, we miss so much that is going on within and it is within that the blessings find us.

One terrific way to jump into this internal space is through meditation, of course, but perhaps even more fun is by DREAMING!!! I'm having so much fun asking questions and watching the answers unfold in my dreams...meeting people both familiar and strange...traveling. 'Tis so much fun! Give it a whirl and see how you feel!!!

No comments: