Monday, August 4, 2008

Permit to carry a sword

when she was little,
she hated that her name
meant 'warrior.'

but now
that she's older,
she really loves it
because it means
she gets to
carry around a sword
without needing a permit.

from "a book of private conversations", copyright 1 august 2008.

***




Being a warrior, methinks, has less to do with slaying dragons or other frightening shadows but more to do with courage. I've decided to start being more courageous with my own creative pursuits, partly inspired by this link I saw on my friend Leah's blog. The Be Brave Project has inspired me to have more gumption and moxie in my daily life.

So, what does that mean? I choose to look at it as an invitation to start putting my work in front of publishers (something my friend Roland and, of course, dear Giacomo have suggested to me over the years).

I've made the first step in sending the skeleton of the children's book I wrote when I was 8.5 years old over to my friend, Lauren, who has agreed to act as illustrator. She's lovely and so wildly creative -- we met at Yale and traveled to Israel together on the same fellowship back in 2000. Since then, she's not only set up a terrific B&B in Beacon, NY in an old home which she helped to renovate -- it also happens to be the best respite a girl could ask for, *but* she also designs couture wedding gowns and preserves them. I can't wait to see what she comes up with regards to the book.

No comments: